Love is Here Album release!

Check out my HearNow page which will link you to my album through your preferred streaming or download site.
https://chelseamarshall.hearnow.com


Sunday, March 25, 2012

Unless A Grain of Wheat, of Barley, of Corn...



Muenster, SK (during my stay at St.Peter's Abbey)

I have had the opportunity to hear 3 different reflections on the Gospel for today. Here’s an excerpt: “ The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. Amen, amen I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains just a grain of wheat; but if it dies, it produces much fruit.” (John 12:23-24)

Two of the reflections I heard were in homilies – Fr. Andrew focused on the fact that we must not focus on the dying of the grain, but the rising to new life – specifically related to losing loved ones in death. Fr. Piotr focused on how the dying of the grain is specifically related to how we need to allow certain things in our lives die in order to allow God’s life to bloom in us. The third reflection though took a view that surprised me…and that is the view of time. This reflection I read in “Daily Reflections for LENT” by Bishop Robert Morneau from Green Bay, WI. Bishop Morneau talked about living in accord with God’s time and design.

Jesus was obedient to God’s timing. He knew the plan and that His hour had come. As I think about “time” I’m reminded of Ecclesiastes and it’s litany of times…to be born, to die, to plant to harvest, to weep, to laugh, to keep, to throw away etc. Like in our gospel, the hour comes when the grain of wheat must die in order for it to produce harvest. The hour comes when the beautiful grapes must be plucked off the vine and thrown into the vat to make wine. The hour comes when a friend or son/daughter has to move away or the hour comes when we are asked to sacrifice ourselves (in small/great ways) for the good of another. All of these times are appointed by God…in fact it says in Ecclesiastes 3 that there is “…a time for every affair under the heavens.”

So what does that mean for us? Do we focus too much on the past or future or do we focus on the appointed hour given to us at this moment? What is God saying to me right now? For me personally, I have some dying in my life coming up and even now I feel it’s a process that has already begun. And even though sometimes it feels like it’s going to be a long wait before I enter the Holy Family Convent, I know that all will happen at God’s appointed time. There are many moments including this one as I’m typing that I have to discover what God has appointed for me. (Sleep and getting rid of this cold is one thing I am appointed to do today! ) J

Today I really marvel at the Lord and His Word… and each reflection of it has value and meaning. It’s like a multifaceted gem that you can look at from many angles and still find new wonder and beauty. Thank you Jesus and please help us to see what it is in our lives that we need to let go of, help us remember that death is not the end only the beginning of new life and strengthen us each moment so that we can be open and at peace with your design, your time, your will. Amen!


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment