Love is Here Album release!

Check out my HearNow page which will link you to my album through your preferred streaming or download site.
https://chelseamarshall.hearnow.com


Saturday, October 20, 2012

REAL Beauty's on the inside...true or false?


Do you truly believe that? I thought I did. I thought I taught it to my students...but judging by what I've been thinking lately every time I pass a mirror...I think that a part of me does not believe that.

Okay, so you're probably wondering "Chelsea, what on earth are you talking about?!” Well, one of the changes during this time of Postulancy is to completely dial down the use of 'make-up'. Now, no one actually came out and told me this was a rule, but you look around and see that really, it is not needed and if you don't want to stick out amongst all the sisters...you shouldn't wear it ;) And I don't know about you, but when I'm new somewhere, I tend to want to blend in and not draw TOO much attention to myself...;)

But seriously, if I find myself not happy with what I see in the mirror, and I don't mean just 'not happy', but genuinely disappointed or sad about it - what is that telling me? It's telling me that somewhere inside I hold a belief and have accepted messages that whatever I've been doing all these years in terms of getting ready to "go out" and "be presentable" in order to "be professional" or be taken seriously etc, has not only happened unconsciously but has affected my self image. It's interesting to think about what those messages are and where do they come from. And I know I'm not alone in this. It's an adjustment, it's being able to see the natural beauty God gave me without any human (especially MEDIA and peer) interference.

I’ve been thinking about all of this for a few weeks (as my friends will attest to!) but yesterday it all became clearer for me – you’ll notice in the collage a mixture of which includes pictures of me “performing”.  I had the opportunity to lead some music in a Year of Faith Gospel Reflection/Prayer service yesterday and it was the first time for me as a Postulant.  My usual ‘ritual’ before any kind of performance had to change as my appearance did not need as much attention.  It sure was something, being up there, as me  - no make up, etc and did it affect my usual performance?  No, of course not, because it is the Holy Spirit who works with me in those situations and helps bring out what is needed…any beauty that is experienced has absolutely nothing to do with how I look.   I am so thankful for that experience and I’m sure as the weeks go by, I’ll feel less and less disappointed about my ‘new look’ and more at peace with the true self within.   I’m still the same Chelsea, no matter how I look, as represented in the collage.

I've been reading about contemplation in several places and it seems to me that the idea is to place one's self before God ‘as you are’ and to allow masks, identities etc to fall away and to be naked… like when you came into this world (and as we will leave it). When we are in this state before the Lord, we are much more receptive to HIM, much more able to adore and praise Him, to contemplate Him and reflect Him.   This ties in with our Year of Faith – being more receptive to what we believe and encountering God’s love…and of course, SHARING it, and allowing that love to overflow to others.

I’d like to end this entry with a challenge – perhaps you could think about what makes you feel beautiful (yes guys, you too!), it’s something worth pondering. 

May you discover God’s deep and abounding love for you – as you are, no more and no less J

 

6 comments:

  1. Chelsea, you radiate a beauty that comes from deep within you. The beauty on the outside is a reflection of all you are on the inside - and it all reflects a deep relationship with our Lord. Thank you for allowing our Lord to shine through you. Blessings upon you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sister! It's a blessing to see the Lord in each other.

      Delete
  2. My two cents on the Question/subject: This really made me have to think! Haha
    True by Gods definition false by the" worlds" definition. REAL beauty is only from one source, and it is something that grows from within which goes beyond any of our physical senses( at its true core of beauty-ness.) The root of beauty is Love, genuine true Love that is God himself IS. So knowing this and thinking about the ultimate act of love, (Christ passion) and how by our human eyes that we can't make sense or even correlate that with beauty at all, but with the gift of understanding you look deeper underneath all of the blood and wounds and dirt and ugliness of all our sins their inside lies pure beauty , inside the man, inside God! 3 days later that beauty was physically manifested at the ressurection for everyone to see and especially again when Christ assended.So I think yes, REAL beauty does lie on the inside. It is often hidden and like a treasure that needs to be found, physical beauty often reflects what's on the inside and that's always a bonus for those who get that gift! Of course how things look is a very subjective matter, and the world has all its definitions of what makes a person beautiful but in the end it's the beauty of the soul that counts !what God sees, !! Not to say one should not care about appearance in whatever setting they need to fit into, because total neglect of appearance is a bad idea I think.

    For your challenge i have thought about it amd came up with a wonderful thought, thinking of myself in heaven makes me feel beautiful ! Haha, (God willing i make it!)I have heard that in heaven all souls look very beautiful so I will finally get to be part of that club!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Chelsea for reflecting how to look beyond anything we may use to protect us from seeing ourselves as Jesus sees us, with eyes of love! Your openness and embracing the beautiful musical sharing of our Franciscan Year of Faith Event touched my heart! The beauty of Jesus' love in you and all of us was not filtered!
    With grateful prayers,
    Sister Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sister Mary Ann! It was such an honor to serve with you, the other sisters and Brother Joseph :)

      Delete