Love is Here Album release!

Check out my HearNow page which will link you to my album through your preferred streaming or download site.
https://chelseamarshall.hearnow.com


Sunday, September 16, 2012

Yet I Will Praise You


It seems the past few days have really been an inspiriation and invitation to enter more deeply into our Lord's passion and resurrection as well as what He asks of us, His disciples.

Friday we celebrated the Feast of the Triumph of the Cross, yesterday we celebrated the memorial of Our Lady of Sorrows and in today's gospel (Mark 8:27-35) Jesus says to His followers that following Him entails a personal knowledge of him plus a giving of one's self in order to "take up your cross and follow me".

What seems to be sticking out for me is the idea of suffering as necessary, suffering as meaningful and something that reflects God. 

"God manifests Himself in the beauty of creation and in the midst of human darkness when it is assumed.  We cannot dismiss either one.  The praise of God can burst forth as much from contemplating the admirable order of creation as from the depths of human suffering.."(Matura, p.132) 


In creating this collage I was reflecting on what may seem a crazy idea to some - that God is manifested and beautiful just as much in suffering as in the beauty of the nature around us. I must admit that is hard to completely understand as the beauty of creation is something that deeply moves me and  I haven't related that to my experience with suffering before.
Fr. Andrew pointed out in his homily this morning - Jesus asks us to answer the personal question: "Who do YOU say that I AM?" and if we believe He is the Messiah, our Lord and Savior then it behooves us to "take up our cross", accept His teachings and follow Him - even if that means it will not always be fun, pretty or easy.  This goes against the prevalent hedonism of our time.

Yesterday, Fr. Wilbert spoke about Mary's suffering, her sorrows in walking with her son through His life (have you seen the 7 seven sorrows of Mary before?).  He reminded us that we do indeed know what suffering is, even if it's not to the degree of our Mother Mary or our neighbours in war-torn countries or other grave situations that our brothers and sisters face everyday, around the world.  Despite what our sufferings are, we are invited to unite them with the sufferings of our Lord and we are encouraged to not lose HOPE, like Mary never lost hope.  We will one day walk in the land of the living with our God (Psalm 116), singing praises of joy!

This past week as I faced some of my own challenges/sufferings, there was a song that kept coming to me in the back of my mind...and I finally remembered what it's called!  I included the video for you. 

 
"I will praise you Lord my God, even in my loneliness, I will praise you Lord" 

If I changed the lyrics for myself, I would add: I will praise you Lord my God, even in this time of waiting, questioning, in moments of doubting your call or not knowing anything at all, I will praise you Lord"

For yourself - how could you finish the phrase?

I end this post with quoting the last stanza of St. Francis' Canticle of the Creatures:

Praise and bless my Lord
and give Him thanks
and serve Him with great humility

Lord Jesus, as we take up our crosses everyday, may we cling to you and look for you in our daily sufferings. May we be able to praise you in any instance.
 May we, as well as our suffering brothers and sisters be consoled by your love, your grace and the Hope you inspire in our hearts.  Amen.

4 comments:

  1. One thing that is resonating with me is that we are never alone no matter how alone we may actually be or feel. God is always with us. As the song said, " I will trust you, Lord", letting go and letting God be God is what He asks of us. Keep hanging in there, Chelsea. God is with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sister, this is something so good to be reminded of. :)

      Delete
  2. Your reflections on suffering and desire to be united to the Lord are so key to each of our lives! Thanks for the meaningful posting Chelsea! "I will praise you Lord for your healing presence in the Eucharist!"
    My prayers are with you,
    Sister Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chelsea, Just took time to listen to your singing, your songs "Take Time To Wonder". Just beautiful...the LORD is pleased when we share His gifts to us...and raise our eyes to Him. He touches your heart and your soul. I share with you...see SpiritandSong.com ... Music on demand...songs like you enjoy. Take care and let God always sing in yoru heart. SCaritas

    ReplyDelete